Thursday 20 September 2012

Canada Spotlight: Music

The Canadian Fountain of Awesome


I'm not overly patriotic. Or to be more honest, I'm a selective patriot. I'm incredibly proud of Canada when it suits me and a critical cynic when necessary. Other times I'm delightfully indifferent.

This is a Pro-Canada post.

Canada has a Fountain of Awesome from whence cometh forth springs of originality. I decided it's only right to share the bedazzlement of Canada with any and all readers of Sweet Nothings so you can see why so many Canucks are proud to call this county "Home." I call this series "Canada Spotlight" for the same reason I call this blog "Sweet Nothings" - I couldn't think of anything better in the 10 seconds of thought I gave it.

Canada has a long and rich musical history that includes names such as Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, The Band and Gordon Lightfoot. There are plenty of popular names in mainstream music that herald from Canada and we're never lacking in shipping off one more entertainer to LA (Biebs, what's up homey?) but there's so much more to Canadian music than the next Drake single. I'm here to educate you on the musicians that have drank from the Fountain of Awesome.

Corb Lund & The Hurtin' Albertans

If I mention "Stompin' Tom" to anyone within a 5 mile (or 5 kilometre) radius they'll immediately start singing either "The Hockey Song" or "Tillsonburg." He's sort of heralded as the troubadour of Canadian music. But if I mention "Corb Lund" within a 500 mile radius...I'd be lucky if anyone's even heard of the guy, let alone will start singing one of his songs. He is the real troubadour, with real songs about this country and the folks that make it what it is. I gifted his most recent album, "Cabin Fever" to my brother Kyle and his wife Tracy when they took off on their honeymoon...aren't they lucky? Needless to say, I asked to borrow it soon after they returned and have been listening to it steadily for the past couple weeks. Phenomenal songwriting with outrageous musicianship make this album my favourite Corb Lund record to date. Tracks such as "September" and "Gettin' Down On The Mountain" showcase this while "Bible On The Dash" and "Cows Around" show off his infamous comedic side. The Deluxe Edition includes a "Fever Side" (electric) and a "Cabin Side" (acoustic). Both are excellent.

Corb Lund originates from Edmonton, Alberta and much of his songs center around Western Canada. You may have heard of his first band, The Smalls; a heavy metal punk band. Or maybe not. He also studied jazz guitar and bass at the Grant MacEwan College in Edmonton so this cowpoke has done a little more than write songs from the saddle. And while he has a cult following throughout Canada and the US, this particular Hurtin'n Albertan has very little mainstream attention, even in the homeland. Why anyone would subject themselves to listening to some of the most God-awful mainstream country instead of delving into priceless gems like Corb Lund is beyond me. If you have anything to do with country music you need this in your life. Even if  have very little to do with country music...this is necessary to your ears. America...eat your heart out!



The Sheepdogs

These guys were a random find for me and I didn't discover until recently that they are from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. That is because they sound like a Black Keys-Allman Brothers hybrid. Southern Rock at its absolute finest coming all the way from the frozen prairie lands of Canada. How does this happen?

What drew me to this album was, no kidding, their album cover. It looks really cool. I immediately grooved out to "I Don't Know" from their last album, "Learn & Burn" and when their self-titled new recording was released a few weeks back I snatched one up quick-fast. Favourite tracks so far are "Alright OK" and "The Way It Is." I was listening to the latter just yesterday and kept thinking to myself how similar sounding (0:56) it was to The Black Keys until I could bear it no longer. So I did a minute's research and discovered it was produced by none other than Black Key's drummer, Patrick Carney. Well done Mr. Carney.

They sound like they stepped out of 1970-something Rock and, while still relatively unknown, they are gaining in popularity throughout the US. This past year they've played big gigs such as festival Coachella and I'm certain we'll continue to see them infiltrate the states in the future. Lord knows they need better rock than American Idol and The Voice can serve up...never fear! Canada has got you covered! Or as one YouTuber put it:


"dear world, sorry for giving you justin beiber, we thought you guys would like him but obviously not. We are sorry and as part of our apology, we give you the sheepdogs in hopes that you will forgive our mistake to the world.
your's truly, Canada"





What about you? What Canadian band and/or artist is currently rocking your socks off, if any?



*In the next edition of Canada Spotlight: Food.


3 comments:

  1. Nickelback or Avril Lavigne...it's a toss up. But maybe since Chad and Avril are married, I can count them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things I didn't want to think of today...commence therapy...

      Delete
  2. I'm really looking forward to your next post :) I thoroughly enjoy food!

    As for Canadian bands/artists... I won't lie, I don't follow closely enough with music to know who's Canadian and who isn't. I'll get back to you on that (upcoming post idea...?).

    ReplyDelete